Monday 20 October 2014

Christian Agnosticism


“Christian Agnosticism”
I'm fairly far removed from the various theological currents of our times, and so the notion of "negative theology" was a new one for me. But in many ways, it wasn't: I just employ different language for it. I've long thought of myself as a "Christian agnostic." While learn about the sacred through the Christian tradition, I've always had a profound respect for how much we can't, and never will, know. (It should be no surprise that the Book of Job is my favourite biblical text). Scholastic debates over finer theological points suggest a hubris that is unbecoming. And the binding of belief into institutionalized orthodoxies is anathema to me. "God" will not be found in either. To me, we can never "know" God, in any rationale sense. But we can experience something that speaks of what God is: and that is love. The experience of giving and receiving of love, to me, provides us with our best peek behind the curtain, into that "great beyond" - into the soul of the Creation that Job finally concedes he will never be capable of understanding. We enter into unity with it when we enter fully into relationship - with ourselves, with others, and with the Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment